Tomorrow begins the second to last month of the year (sigh). I can’t believe we’ve gotten through this quickly! And as we move on it’s also time to bring out my other favorite sweaters of the entire winter season, the fair isles. Although short-lived, because I don’t nearly wear them as often as the ‘fisherman sweaters’ (those are my all-time winter faves) the fair isle sweater can add a touch of festive flare to your otherwise boring outfit with their lovely patterns.
Fun Fact: The name Fair Isle comes from a small, remote island in the Shetlands, north of Scotland, in Britain, with a population of about 60 people. The islanders have been knitting woolen garments for centuries. Fair isle sweater gained worldwide recognition in the 1920s, when Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales, wore a fair isle vest in public.
Fair isle sweaters are timeless and versatile pieces that can be worn in many ways. Here are some tips on how to style a fair isle sweater:
HOW TO STYLE FAIR ISLE SWEATERS
- For a casual look, wear a fair isle pullover with jeans or corduroy pants and boots. Layer it over a t-shirt or a shirt for extra warmth.
- For a smart and sophisticated look, wear a fair isle vest with a button down shirt or blouse and bow and skinny jeans. You can also add a blazer for a more formal touch. You can choose a neutral fair isle vest for a subtle contrast, or a bright-colored vest for a pop of color.
- For a preppy look, wear a fair isle cardigan with a dress or a skirt and blouse. You can also add tights and heels or flats for a polished finish. You can choose a fitted or oversized cardigan depending on your preference.
- Always pair your fair isle sweater with solid-colored bottoms that complement the colors of your sweater. You can wear jeans, chinos, corduroys, or wool skirts for a casual or smart casual look.
- Layering your fair isle sweater over a shirt or under a jacket for extra warmth and interest is classic. You can wear a plain white or chambray shirt for a crisp contrast, or try a plaid or striped shirt for a more playful mix. You can also wear a leather jacket, a denim jacket, or my personal favorite, a peacoat for a touch of sophistication.
- Limit your accessories so that they don’t compete with your fair isle sweater. Keep it simple and classic.
- You can wear a fair isle sweater for work, weekend, holiday, or travel. And most important, wear what suits your personality.