Summertime is the time to enjoy the outdoors and the last thing we want is to be stuck in the kitchen. But if we must, then why not make it quick and easy. There are plenty of recipes that are both delicious and won’t keep you too long in the kitchen. I’ve rounded up some great lazy summer meals for you to try that won’t steal too much of your summer time.
A Few Tips For Cooking In The Summer
- Avoid the stove as much as possible! I know this isn’t for everyone, including me, but there are many delicious summer recipes that require no cooking. Think using raw seasonal ingredients from your local produce or any veggies you can grow in your garden, like zucchini, cucumber, or heirloom tomatoes to chop and throw together.
- No cooking doesn’t mean boring. Dress up your salads with nuts and fresh fruits. They add texture and color. And always make your own dressing. Try using lemons or oranges in place of vinegar for your dressing to change up your salad’s flavor.
- And if you must cook, why not grill? Fire it up and make it al fresco. Better yet, pull out that crock pot/slow cooker and forget about it (after all, it sure beats turning on the oven and heating up the whole house).
- Salads are not just for leafy greens. You can ‘cook’ pasta in less than 20 min. That’s all the cooking you’ll do to create a fantastic pasta salad. The rest of the ingredients will consist of fresh produce.
- Herbs are a fantastic way to maximize flavor and also dress up dishes. Marinate everything with fresh herbs and oils. It saves you time while allowing you to season your proteins to the max.
10 Lazy Summer Meals
PESTO ORZO SALAD You are going to love how quick and easy this orzo pasta salad is to make. Simply boil the orzo, then toss it with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and pesto! Both homemade or store-bought pesto works great in this recipe.
CAPRESE PASTA SALAD What better dish could there be than combining the best of summer in one tasty recipe! This mouthwatering pasta salad is filled with tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fresh basil that is sure to be a hit every time in less than 30 minutes!
CHICKEN HUMMUS NAAN WRAPS These can be as simple or as involved as you want them to be. You can literally make them from pre-packaged, pre-cooked everything! It has many of my favorite go-to snack ingredients rolled into one. It’s a great chicken recipe you can throw together in minutes for a healthy dinner or a make-ahead cold lunch.
CROCKPOT BARBEQUE RIBS Let’s face it, summertime is the best time for enjoying that barbeque flavor. No time for the grill or the kitchen? Let the slow cooker do all the cooking for you. This easy ribs recipe will surely become your new favorite. Nothing beats tender, juicy slow cooker ribs!
CROCK-POT CORN CHOWDER This is a great dinner recipe for a cool summer evening. You can also use delicious canned sweet corn as an easier cooking option.
HONEY-LIME CHICKEN & VEGGIES IN FOIL This is such a cool idea for a quick and delicious meal. Each portion of this honey-lime chicken and veggies cooks inside a little foil packet that you place directly on the grill. Once everything’s cooked, just throw away the foil.
CHICKEN PESTO PANINI I’ve made this recipe with a couple of twists. I opted to use store made pesto (you can find really good ones) and I bought thinly sliced chicken breasts. I slathered on the pesto on the grilled bread then I placed the hot grilled chicken between slices of cheese onto the bread. I topped it with the rest of the ingredients. So easy, delish, and filling.
VEGGIE PIZZA Another easy recipe that is always a huge hit! And you can make it with all your favorite toppings. Get pre-packaged pizza dough and roll out onto a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. Add mozzarella cheese, some chopped asparagus & sliced grape tomatoes. Season with salt & pepper, add shaved parmesan cheese and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Bake at 350℉ for about 20 mins. It’s quick, easy and delish.