Gone are the days when wearing hand gloves and perfectly fitted hats were a must of a lady’s everyday attire. (sigh)
Welcome to the 21st Century where the popular trend of “less is more,” and I don’t mean that in a positive sense, and all practicality and good judgement is thrown out the window. I know I may get a little heat for this but, I just gotta put it out there.
I’m sure you’ve heard it before, “lets do dress down Fridays” in the office setting or, “it’s a casual get-together so dress comfortable” in your latest invite to a social gathering. The thing is that people actually show up looking like rags, literally! Ugh, I just don’t get it!
Unfortunately, the word “overdressed” has a negative connotation. Webster’s dictionary defines it as “to dress or adorn to excess.” Well, I’ve got 7 fabulous reasons why you should, not only dress well, but why, you should absolutely overdress!
(Greta Garbo circa 1930)
(Monica Bellucci / Malena, 2000)
- Regardless of how unimportant your presence is in a particular place, when you are dressed to impress, all eyes are immediately drawn to you. You become an important presence!
- The boost of confidence that is automatically shot into your brain cells especially after someone is nice enough to compliment you can do wonders for your self esteem!
- And lets talk about happiness. What better way to raise the happiness level in your life than by feeling, wearing and thinking beautiful!
- Does anybody still love chivalry? I do. When dressed to the T, doors are opened and chairs are pulled!
- You will intimidate! Thus making you queen bee, and hopefully you can handle the power graciously.
- Overdressing makes you look like you have places to go, people to see and things to do. In other words, you don’t just sit around waiting for someone or something. You are in control.
- When you dress well you are naturally aware of your posture at all times. This in turn enhances all your best features, and best shows off your perfect outfit!
(Sarah Jessica Parker, SATC 2 / 2010)
There you have it. Don’t wait for a “special occassion” to dress beautifully. Whatever you do, wherever you go, dress to impress, you never know whom you may run into! What are your thoughts on overdressing?